[pct-l] re: pain relievers

It is interesting that when folks on the list ramble on and on regarding their thoughts and beliefs of whether or not you should carry a bear canister or ice axe, etc, no one every questions their qualifications.  Should we instill a law that you can only offer a reply if you are sufficiently qualified; to only those who have thru-hiked the PCT, for instance?  And then here I go and actually relay some factual information to this gossip list for once (replacing the circular arguments that usually arise on this list), and everyone jumps on my case demanding my credentials.  I have replied individually to these demand thus far, but I suppose I need to now share these with the larger audience.

And Richard, take some time to type out your messages, maybe then you will be able to spell "unblieving" next time.

Anyways, while completing my Ph.D. in Biomolecular Engineering from the Johns Hopkins University on the "Flow modulation of platelet interactions in inflammation and cancer metastasis", I found time to hike the top 1/3 of the AT ('97), the Long Trail ('98), the John Muir Trail ('99), the top 280 miles of the CDT ('00), the Wonderland Trail ('01), and the PCT ('02).  During this time I raised over $6,000 for a children's camp for pediatric cancer patients via a program I created, the Walk for Cancer program.  I then took a position in the Department of Pharmacology at Oxford University, researching the role platelets play in thrombotic events that lead to stroke.  Furthermore, I just completed the GR20 across Corsica.

So there you have it.  Please do not ever question me concerning my viewpoints on issues concerning platelets, or long-distance hiking for that matter.  I feel my track record may speak for itself.

Happy 'JO', Ph.D.

Richard <calliger@infolane.com> wrote:
Well-- anyone who talks about platelets and COX-2
might expect to have a question (reasonable) asked of
that person...only normal IMHO..too many quacks out
there...(no flame just a fact) I was curious but not
unblieving of the poster as I have some med training
myself and knew of these issues aprior to the post.
But It was a lignering curiosity if the person was
knowledgable or copying from a textbook...

At 11:02 AM 7/9/03 -0700, Matt Geis wrote:
>You gotta love it when people post things like this.
>
>>> and your medical training is what.
>
>Specifically, I mean people who assume that just
>because someone puts something on the list, that the
>person must have just **heard** the information, or
>that the person has no medical training. Here's Happy
>JO making a useful contribution to the list, and some
>guy simply can't believe someone might know more than
>he does.
>
>Knowing Happy JO (and knowing that he has a PhD in
>this area of study from Johns Hopkins), I'll take his
>word for it.
>
>The great thing about the PCT is that it attracts
>hikers from all walks of life. Just because one
>person doesn't know a lot about platelets and
>medications doesn't mean that nobody else does either.
> I think one or two of us on the list would do well to
>reflect on that fact before posting smartass comments.
>
>Iron Chef

>(_internal_name)s

Happy 'JO'
PCT '02