[pct-l] Bear canister alternative??

On the way home from work tonight I heard an interesting story on NPR.
Unfortunately I was on the Freeway in 70 mph traffic, windows & sunroof down
so it was a little hard to hear it but basically some guys in Wyoming have
developed a  fence type thing with a battery about the size for a video
tape.  This fence gets set up around your food  & the battery packs a 6000
volt wallop when the bear touches it.  Talk about negative re-inforcement!!
They were talking about testing this year & hopefully getting forest service
approval next year.  I didn't catch the weight of the device, (windows &
sunroof down, 70 mph) but they were comparing it favorably to the weight of
a bear cannister.  Did anyone else happen to catch this?

Dave
david@dalbey.org