[pct-l] Energy Bars or Candy Bars?

We ate Bear Valley Bars years ago (a mainstay on our first "distance" hike
on the JMT in '82) and switched to Powerbars & Clif bars when they became
available.  They're certainly better than Power Bars for staying power, but
I find that they don't provide the quick boost that Power Bars do.  I don't
like eating Power Bars much, but they work for my system.  Clif bars do as
well - it's surprising to me that they can be perceived as having a
"chemical" taste, seeing as the ingredients are reasonably un-refined.
(Notice that I didn't say totally unrefined - the soy protein crisp stuff
used certainly must be refined to some extent).  But a Clif bar got me to
camp the other night, when nibbles on trail mix didn't....

Also, I don't always need 400 calories all at once on a short trip of a week
or less.  The 220 provided by a Clif or Powerbar work fine for what I need
at the time.  YMMV - especially if you're not a 5'6" female ;-) !

My bottom line on the energy bar thing, whether they are pre-packaged and
available at retail, or homemade (Goforth's seed bars), is that you need to
find what works for you - what gives you quick and lasting energy, what
provides some nutrition, and what doesn't give you the trots ;-)  ...

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold