[pct-l] Mt. Whitney Expedition

Get a thru permit (are they still free?) which entitles you to a Whitney
sticker, yes?

At 02:29 PM 7/9/03 -0700, Kurt Johnson wrote:
>Good luck on getting a permit!  As far as I know, they lottery off 100% of
available permits in February for the entire season.  I don't think they
hold back any permits for walk-in's.  I applied for a multiday permit for
August and did not get one.  According to the Inyo NF website, chances of
obtaining a multiday permit through the lottery system are 57%.

>There are cancellations though, and I hope you are lucky enough to get one,
but I wouldn't get your hopes too high.

>Padre
>

>Hiker97@aol.com wrote: I am planning a major expedition to Mt. Whitney for
Monday, August 11. I hope to get a walk-in permit, since it is a weekday
event. Basically, we acclimate Monday night at Whtiney Portal. Tuesday we
start for Outpost Camp at 5 A.M to camp/acclimate. Wednesday we start for
Trail Camp at 5 A.M to camp/acclimate. Thursday mid-night we start up the 97
switchbacks and on to the top for sunrise. There is a full moon around this
time, so it should be fantastic. Anyone interested? Bring an 02 bottle, I
might need it. Happy trails, Switchback P.S. I think the record for the
21-mile hike up and back on the Mt. Whitney trail is a little over 4 hours.
But that is for youth.