[pct-l] TahoeAdvicePlease

Hi, I was sent here from Backpacking Light because some folks there told me
you all could answer my questions better than anyone else.

I am using the occasion of a business trip to Reno, NV
this week to take a badly needed but last minute vacation
afterwards. I am grabbing rental car in Reno next Friday, July 11,
in the afternoon and I am returning to Reno the following Thursday,
July 17, in the evening, to make sure I catch my flight home the
following day. I have lightweight gear, including a Hennessy (best
purchase ever!). I am going alone, which I have done many times
before, but always in areas I know very well, like the Grand Canyon,
or on occasions when I have taken a lot of time to research and
plan. I am very experienced, (3 Outward Bounds), not in the best
shape of my life, but still can handle an hour on the steepest
incline on the treadmill with no problem.

I have scanned websites researching trails and the ones around and
near Lake Tahoe, including Desolation Wilderness, are the most
appealing. My thought was to stay in a campground or hotel the first
Friday/Saturday night (next weekend), but the CA state parks
campgrounds are all booked, and the hotels in Tahoe are OUTRAGEOUSLY
priced. Here are my questions:
1. Where do I have a shot of getting a place to car camp the first 2
nights in the Tahoe area? I need a place where I can hang my
hammock. I read something somewhere about Tom Hennessy getting very
aggravated with some CA authorities who would not let him hang his
hammocks for display. I would like to spend the weekend there and
rent a sea kayak for half a day and just generally get my bearings
before I head out backpacking.
2. After that, do any of you have a suggested itinerary for 5 days,
4 nights, or 4 days, 3 nights, on a trail that will take me back to
my car? Would the Tahoe Rim Trail do it? How about Desolation Wilderness or
section of the PCT?
3. Bears? Do I need to buy a bear-proof food holder?
4. Is there a better area within easy driving of Reno? I do not like
extreme heat, so look to avoid deserts in the summer.

I normally plan far ahead, but both my elderly parents are very ill and I
have
been spending every spare second I am not working dealing with their care,
etc. My plane leaves tomorrow but I will have email access until Friday
Noon.
If any of you who know this area can take time to help me, I would
be very grateful! Thanks!
MARSANNE (in Louisiana)