[pct-l] trail report

Hi all-

Thanks for all the help for our JMT trip.  Unfortunately, we had
to bail due to the snow.  My wife and I just weren't comfortable
with traversing very steep and VERY exposed snow fields, ice ax in
hand, on Whitney ( as of June 13).  Lots of snow in the Sierra!
Still a lot in late June! PCT'ers recommended we bail if not
comfortable with that.  The cables on east face of Whitney weren't
up, either.  Very dangerous.  To some, these snow fields may be
mellow, to us they were gnarly! Had a slip on the way up Whitney
from Guitar lake..was proud that i instinctually assumed self
arrest position.  The slip was on exposed slope and my wife
brain-locked.  Fortunately, I stopped slipping or else........

We traveled California (Redwoods, Big Sur, San Fran, LA, Palm
Springs, Sequoias) and then did the Tuolumne Mead. to Happy Isles
section.  Terrific!!!

All in all a great hike.  Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal was
awesome sans the sick snowfields.  Whitney rules!!!  then Tuolumne
to Happy Isles was killer!  The hike up Half Dome was excellent.
the cables not for the faint at heart.  And, boy was I sore the
next day!

Another year, later in the season, I will finish the middle
section of the JMT.  Evidently Forrester and Muir pass were
totally snow covered.

THings learned:  the Sierra are dangerous and should be respected
                 the Sierra are not for those afraid of heights!
                 I love the Sierra, but the Appalachians is where
my heart is.

Signing off for awhile,

Nate
"Katabatic"