[pct-l] Titanium Bear Canister

In a message dated 7/4/03 12:04:29 AM, DAVCATDAV@aol.com writes:

<< What I recall is that they were manufactured by two Boeing engineers who
were
distributing them to various spots in the park.  They were badly underfunded
and had no other plans at the time to distribute them because they couldn't
afford to. It seems that they were hoping that enough hikers would be so
enamoured with how light they were that they'd sell enough to kick start the
company.
 And they were $250 each.

Sounds like your answer to me. The only people who could possibly trace them
down are ONP officials. One should note that bear cans are not required in the
Olympic National Park. They have them available in case a particular trail is
having bear problems (quite rare) and for bear skitterish people to rent.
They may be required on coast hikes because of overbearing raccoons. Why pay $250
to make your pack heavier if you don't have to?