[pct-l] Titanium Bear Canister

Does anyone know who fabricates titanium bear canisters? A friend of mine
borrowed one from a friend and the thing weighed about a pound. If anyone else
has seen one please tell where and any clues as to where they are made or sold.
If anyone knows of a shop that will make custom titanium products we'd
probably all like to know where and how much they'll charge for making basically a
large titanium can with three screws that seal the top down.

Has anyone replied to this yet?  I'm siting here checking my old e-mails and
I didn't notice any,  Perhaps someone has already given you better information
than I'll be capable of but, if not...well...I'm just going to add the
mystery...for you see...I have actually held in my own hands the ultimate expression
of the bear canister maker's art; I have, for ever so brief a moment, held a
canister made of the same material as the F-18 Tomcat and the Mig-28.  It
wasn't silver, it wasn't gold, it wasn't platinum.It was titanium (even though it
was priced like it was made of the others.)  And I have no idea where you can
get one.

Three years ago I was car camping with friends in the Olympic National Forest
and up to that point I'd never actually seen a bear cannister of any type
before.   At the ranger station in the Hoh River Valley they were renting them
out.  Now I'll have to admit I have never seen a bear but that it was a full
rump view, said bear running from me in a panic, like I'm Davey Crocket come to
gun him down, so my first reaction was what do I do with this, hang the bear
bag and use the cannister to beat said bears about the head and neak?  But then
Ms. Ranger told me about the problems that folks were having with the beasts
in the Sierras and the Appalachans. I might say that I have seen otherwise
decent people turn in to great ugly flaming trolls on this very subject in this
very chatroom, but I'll just say in passing that what she said seemed to make a
lot of sense to me.  Now if that makes be "icky" in your book so be it, I'll
just have to add it to the other terrible troubles I have to shoulder on my way
to death and oblivion.

At any rate, a few days later we stopped at some other camp.  For the life of
me I can't remember which one it was.  I do remember that it was popular, it
was by a river (that certainly narrows things down in a rain forest) and it
was at one of those camps that have those toll booth things (those of you
familiar with the park will know what I mean) where you give the ranger a few bucks
for entry.  This place had a very nice ranger cabin, one of those stone and
plank things the CCC put up in various places in the Pacific Northwest.  The
cabin was inhabited by a volunteer couple who sold postcards, firewood,
and...rented bear canisters.  We talked a bit about campers, bears, bear canisters, he
got mad at her, they argued a bit, we talked about bears some more, and bear
canisters, and, then he turned to me and said, "let me show you something kinda
interesting.

It had that dull metallic sheen of titanium.  It wasn't the same shape as the
Garcia canister, from the top it was an oval and it retained the same shape
from top to bottom, not flared in the middle like the Garcia. I recall it had
some sort of reinforcing frame on the outside and at the top it had three
locking devices, same number as the Garcia but...you opened it differently, the
locks were not the same as the Garcia, but I can't recall how you released them.

"Wow," I said, "this is really impressive, I bet you get a lot of those
hiking folks that just stand here slack jawed; this can't weigh more than a pound."

"Yup, " he said, "with a canister like this you'd be the envy of every male
hiker and the dream of every female one."

Having had problems of this kind before, at that point I just walked out.

What I recall is that they were manufactured by two Boeing engineers who were
distributing them to various spots in the park.  They were badly underfunded
and had no other plans at the time to distribute them because they couldn't
afford to. It seems that they were hoping that enough hikers would be so
enamoured with how light they were that they'd sell enough to kick start the company.
 And they were $250 each.

Hope that helps...