[pct-l] Water Purification Ideas requested

Time to repeat my plug for the "Exstream Cyst Filter", REI item 651544, $16.95 for box of two.  This is a 2-micron paper cyst filter in a light plastic housing, (under a half ounce).  It is part of a water bottle system, but it is the part that stops giardia.  You can shove a 1/4 inch vinyl tube in the outlet hole, or push a short piece of metal tubing in and push a bigger vinyl tube (eg, your hydration hose) over it.  I've used it as a gravity filter by sticking it in a bag of water.  Then I found it fit nicely into the mouth of Nalgene Narrow Mouth Canteens (bladders).  Now I've adapted it to my preferred Platypus by turning down a "3/4 inch brass hose-end cap" and soldering a tube into it - to be taped to the inlet end of the cartridge (doesn't everyone have a metal-turning lathe?).  The flow is easy enough to gravity filter, squeeze, or sip through.  Avoid dirty water and one should last your Oregon trip.  Carry the extra as a spare.  I've used them for 2000 miles of the PCT.  Not an "off the shelf" solution, but it must be the lightest filter going.  Heck, you could put a short piece of tube on the outlet, stick it in a cup of water, and drink from the "straw".

-----Original Message-----
From: Laraine Downer [mailto:laraine@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 11:08 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Water Purification Ideas requested

Hello to all listees, What's the latest and lightest way to purify water? On my thru-hike of most of Calif. in 2000 we used the SafewaterAnywhere inline filter but they seem to be out of business now. Any suggestions?

Myself and Melouise Pfeffer "Pell Mell" completed our PCT hike of Calif. last summer in all that heat! This year we start at Callahan's 7/14 and will hike all of Oregon (hopefully).

Good luck to all this year's thru-hikers!

Laraine "La de da" Downer