[pct-l] Museum of Backpacking

Well, we've got some ideas and interest.

Don't know who exactly would organize and support this. Getting a
collection at the Smithsonian is probably the best location; however the
Museum could be a tourist attraction in almost any city or town close to
a major hiking/backpacking area.  Perhaps the museum could get
underwriting from companies like REI, Kelty, etc. who are big suppliers
to us backpackers. etc. And no need to confine the collection to purely
backpacking -- hiking and packing with animals would compliment the
collection. The focus of the collection needs to be developed. However I
think that the essence is travelling on foot through natural areas for
the enjoyment of the areas is a good first draft.

And I don't think the idea is too far fetched at all. I have a neighbor
who is retired and collect electronic vacuum tubes -- those short lived
devices which made electronics possible prior to the development of
transistors and all that followed. Some people even come here and seek
out his collection. And he is donating his collection to a new museum
going together up around Seattle.

Can we find someone to take this idea and go forward??

John