[pct-l] Museum of Backpacking

There was some talk at the AT Gathering last year about creating a hiking
museum.  There is a lot of AT-related memorabilia around that will probably be
lost if no home can be found for it.  The obstacles are many:  Place, space,
storage, management, maintenace.  Read that $$$$.

There is a lot of history associated not only with the AT but all the long
trails.  Anything that makes the general public more aware of our National
Scenic Trails can only benefit the trails and those who hike them.  However, a
museum is not normally a money-making enterprise.  It needs a benefactor, not only
to start the ball rolling but as a long-term backer.  Somebody like the
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History or National Geographic?

Somehow I can't visualize a long line of people paying to see Flyin' Brian's
old Trail Runners or the first CatStove, or even Monte's wood-handled ice axe.
 Perhaps more practical and attainable would be a "Historic, Humorous or
Otherwise Interesting Stuff about Backpacking" website.  A virtual museum!  Any
volunteers?
_____