[pct-l] Re: Hammock on PCT?

Regarding hammocks...

I'm a friend of Nathan's (Ender's) who is hiking the
PCT currently and, as I've posted before, am
transcribing his journal.  He picked up a hammock, as
did his other three hiking partners somewhere near
Cajon Pass.  They are now going by the name of
"Ewoks."  From his journal entries, it seems that he's
loving the hammock and having no problem using it in
SoCal.  http://www.trailjournals.com/ender

The hammock, I believe, can be set up on the ground if
there are no trees.

Southern California has LOTS of trees...and big ones.
There is a common misconception that the first 500 or
more miles of the PCT starting from the Mexican border
are pure desert...cactus, dust and hot sun.  NOT TRUE!
 Imagine my surprise as I stood at the border
monument, looking north at a valley full of giant
green California live oaks!

You really do experience a roller coaster hike in So.
Cal., ecologically, as you climb up into big mountains
full of trees, descend to expanses of
wildflower-covered desert and climb back up ravines
lined with live oaks.

Nocona