[pct-l] new member with questions

Hey everybody,

I guess I'll follow the registration instuctions and introduce myself for
my first post.  I'll keep it short: I'm 28, I live in Boulder, Colorado
and plan to thru-hike the PCT next summer.  I'll be going south to north
and I'm going solo.  I think that about covers it. So I joined this list
because I'm trying to get as much information as possible.

Anyway on to my questions ...
I've read Ray Jardine's books and he didn't use a water filter for his
last PCT hike. I kind of like that idea because filters are heavy and a
pain to use.  I drank right out of the streams on a backpacking trip in
the Tetons last summer and didn't get sick (I'm aware that you have to
choose sources wisely and I wouldn't drink out of any old source - I'm a
water resources engineer by the way so I'm not a complete idiot when it
comes to water).

Anyway how many people have been hiking the PCT without treating water?
I'm wondering what the chances are of getting sick.

As far as chemical treatment goes, I don't want to use Iodine.  Aqua Mira
seems to be a good alternative.  What's the deal with that?  Does it
really work and are there any bad side affects?

Steve