[pct-l] first time sectin hiker needs advice.

--
Tamara,

You are not crazy!  You are the only sane one in your family, IMHO.  Taking
your daughters out for a short hike will introduce them to the values and
emotional lift that the mountains, the wilderness, the trees, the rocks, the
flora and fauna emit.  You'll also find a comraderie amongst the people that
you find there, who share an appreciation for these values.

It isn't dangerous if:
- You research the area that you intend to hike in, finding guide books,
maps, etc.
- You outfit yourself and your daughters with appropriate gear (note
"appropriate" does not mean expensive, necessarily)
- You don't bite off more than you can chew.  In other words, know your and
their limitations.
- You pay attention to the weather conditions and know when to seek shelter
or set your own.

Best regards,

Greg