[pct-l] Rainier

Having ascended Rainier and been invited to do Everest, and done
research on Everest, I take slight umbrage at the linkage and the stating of
"get killed on the mountain in a whole range of ways". This is somewhat
alarmist to beginners and should be avoided as it borders on
non-factual emotionalism IMHO <smile>...

You can get killed anywhere in several ways! Crossing the street,
driving to the trailhead; one of my dear friends died leaving
our athl;etic club down the corner at the stop light someone
hit and killed her! Any mountain as well, not just Rainier;
to the properly trained and equiped, Rainier is no more no less
dangerous than any other equivalent 14'er such as Mt Blanc
for example! You have to know the crevass danger, know what
a z-hitch is, know the weather, and other common mountaineering
contraindicators before proceeding to ascend. Saying it is
dangerous and you can get killed in an unsupported manner
is not right.

So I would unconnect the Everest/killing linkage as perhaps
a little too alarmist. <smile>

Respectfully and Thank you for listending to me on my little
soap box.

Richard