[pct-l] Gear for a few days in Southern California?

>Raingear?
>Will I need full waterproofs or can I get away with a water repellent wind
>shirt and pants.

I would bring a waterproof top in case it storms

>Will it freeze at night?
>I've a down bag rated to -5c (is that about 25f?) is it enough?

It might freeze around Mt Laguna. It is snowing there today, but that is
not typical of April, but it does happen

Then again, the time you spend at 1800m elevation is pretty short. Only a
30km or so of trail is that high in the first 200km of trail

>Heat?

Count on 40C or thereabouts in parts if the weather is clear

>Water?
>I've enough platypus bottles for 7 litres I doubt I could carry more than
>that anyway, so hopefully that will be enough.  Should I bring a filter,
>mine weighs a pound so it's quite a burden if it's not going to be used.

The water on this section is some of the worst on the whole trail.

You can get water from the tap for quite a bit of it, but the stretch from
Penny Pines (GATR Road on the map) to Barrel Springs has only the cow
polluted creek as Scissors Crossing for water (unless the caches are
available.)

I'd bring a filter, or chemical disinfectants.

The south most part of the trail has some of the biggest variations in
elevation and weather since you pretty much hike through the desert, then
pop up into the mountains for a short bit, then back down, over and over.