[pct-l] pics for folding Bakepacker, Cat Stove 95-minute simmer

--

Here are pictures for Goforth and Traildad;  Hope they answer your
questions.  What I originally posted is below, edited.

		A folding Bakepacker:  I cut up strips of aluminum roofing
sheeting 1" wide and 5.5" long (8), 5" long (4), 4.5" long (4), and 3.5"
long (4), cutting halfway through at half inch intervals - in short,
duplicating a commercial BakePacker as best I could.  Unlike the commercial
one, this lightweight Bakepacker simply folds shut into a neat,
accordion-like package. Not only that, but the finished project weighs 1.4
ounces, as opposed to 2.9 ounces for the commercial BakePacker with outer
ring removed. You win both in regards to space and weight. It works
wonderfully.

		Remembered Roy Robinson's directions for making a simmer
ring for his cat stove, I got mine out and made one. With the simmer ring in
place (lowered over the outer holes), and using 2 ounces of alcohol, the
water in the pot - up to the grid level of the homemade Bakepacker - boiled
in 7;30 minutes and had a burn-out time of 22:30 minutes. Well, my snacking
cake needed a little longer than that, I thought. So, with Roy's simmer ring
lowered in place, I repeated the test, putting in 2 ounces of alcohol and
getting the water to boil in the bakepacker grid in 7:30 minutes.  The
minute it boiled, I took off the pot, lifted the windscreen and added to the
top of the cat stove a wafer thin washer (weighs 0.3 ounce) that is 2  5/16"
in diameter with an opening in the center that is only =BD" across.  It is =
the
exact former "simmer ring" that Aaron used to sell with his Brasslite
stoves. Of course, the pot and windscreen were replaced immediately.  The
stove continued to simmer, with gentle sounds and a tad of steam rising, for
an additional eighty-eight minutes and twenty seconds (88:20!) That's a
total of 95:50 minutes on 2 ounces of alcohol.  The pot was so hot, even at
the end, that I burned myself touching it accidentally.

		This says to me that carrying the cat stove with simmer
ring, my 1.4 oz folding bakepacker, and that 0.3 oz. wafer-like washer, I
can bake easily on the trail. Eat dinner, put in less than an ounce, and let
it bake away. There was plenty of water left in the grid after all that
time.

--
[ winmail.dat of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]