[pct-l] military rations

I spent a few years in the infantry munching those things pretty regularly.
They are heavy and are encased in a huge amount of extra packaging.

Even the military uses a different ration for those expected to have to
carry food on their back for a long distance (like us backpackers)  Those
rations are called LRPS (pronounced Lurps it stands for "long range patrol
sonethingerother.)

Anyway, lurps are freeze dried and lightweight light regular backpacker
fare.  I have never seen them available on the civilian market, and they are
rare even in the service.  I only point them out to illustrate the fact that
even the military does not consider MRE suitable for any type of extended
hiking.

There are a few freeze dried entrees in the MRE which are suitable.  These
would included potato patties, beef patties, pork patties, freeze dried
fruit and maybe a few others.  The other entrees are not freeze dried.  For
instance, there is a foil packet with 5 hot dogs inside.  It's great if you
are going to leave hot dogs in the hold of a ship for 18 months.  On the
other hand, if a backpacker on the PCT wants to carry non-dehydrated, heavy,
hot dogs, you can buy them in any store along the way and carry them for a
few days without fear of spoilage.

There are some sources on the internet where you can buy MRE components
without purchasing the whole heavy case with all of it's packaging and
non-dehydrated foodstuffs.  Just search for "Meal, Ready to Eat"+ MRE