[pct-l] RE: dog help

Dave Fales wrote:

> I never said that I am disbailed I ahve a fake leg so I slef trianed my
> dog to be  a service dog if an idiot ranger harses me about it he will
> find him slef in trouble beucsue under the law all they can ask is , is
> that a servcie dog yous ay yes then that is the end of questions

	Folks might be interested in a Position Paper from the Coalition of
Assistance Dog Partners (CADO) <http://www.gdui.org/cado.html> -

"CFR 36.104 - Definition of Service Animal Revised to read:
Service animal means an assistance dog, and may include other animals
specifically trained to perform physical tasks to mitigate an
individual's disability. Assistance dogs include: guide dogs that guide
individuals who are legally blind; hearing dogs that alert individuals
who are deaf or hard of hearing to specific sounds; and, service dogs
for individuals with disabilities other than blindness or deafness.
Service dogs are trained to perform a variety of physical tasks
including but not limited to pulling a wheelchair, lending balance
support, picking up dropped objects or providing assistance in a medical
crisis. The presence of an animal for comfort, protection or personal
defense does not qualify an animal as being trained to mitigate an
individual's disability and therefore does not qualify said animal as a
service animal.

The key to this definition is that a service animal must be trained to
perform a physical task, that is, to perform a service, to mitigate a
disability."

	The webpage I link to addresses why this clarification has been put
forth, specifically because there are individuals who abuse the
regulations on service animals.

	Note also that the animal performs "physical tasks to mitigate an
individual's disability," so an individual who is not disabled, or who
does not need the animal for physical assistance, has no need of a
service animal.

	Ron
--

must preside at our assemblies.