[pct-l] ultra lite packs

--
Until I came across this list I had never even heard of ultra-light
strategies.  Initially I fought and argued with those ultra-lighters over the
strategy and maintained my Boy Scout - prepared-for-all
-carry-a-big-heavy-pack position.

I, like many others, have now begun to question every piece of equipment I
own and am in a long range plan to replace and make for myself an entirely
new system that will fit my needs and severely reduce my carrying weight.  I
believe that I have already made great headway.

I believe this to be the strength of the ultra-light discussions;  Question
every piece of equipment for use and weight.  BRING NOTHING THAT YOU DON'T
ABSOLUTELY NEED (and one thing that you just want!).

Backpacking is all about sacrificing a bit of comfort for the benefits of the
wild.  Just a bit more sacrificing can reap huge additions to the benefits of
the wild.

I still maintain that safety should not be sacrificed in the name of weight
saving.  Only you can determine where to draw the line between necessary for
safety and discardable for weight savings.

IMHO,

Greg