[pct-l] ultra lite packs

In 1968, while a junior in high school I got my first pack, a camptrails
sack, bright red.  I also got the 5lb vasque whitneys and a four pound down
bag.  I used a tube tent...

I didn't upgrade at all until 1992, when my girl friend and I started a 75
day hike.  I had a Kelty Tioga by that time.  We each carried two changes of
fleece, one of long underwear, three tee shirts, etc., etc., etc.  Leaving
north of Mt. Lassen heading south to Belden for a 10 day segment, my pack
started out at 72 pounds.  My girlfriend's was 55.  Not that long ago...

In 1994 I got a Jansport external frame pack which I still love, but was
still bushed after ten miles.  In 1997 I got a three pound Jack Wolfskin,
3000 cu in pack, and started doing five day hikes of 15 to 20 miles a day,
and was less tired than after ten miles with heavier equipment.

I then got a Kelty Flight, which is wonderful for a three pound and less
pack.  I longed for one of the white Kelty Clouds, but $600 was just too
much.

Last year I got a Golite Gust, along with the Nunatek alpinist blanket, a
blue closed cell pad and a SD ultralightyear tent.  Total of about 7 pounds
or so.  The pack is 4000 cu in plus, and I don't have to stuff the sleeping
blanket.  The pack looks huge, but it's because the down is never, ever
compressed.

When alone, I don't use a stove, eating all day, every day - no real meals
except for cheese and crackers at mid-day.

At 50 I find that the lightweight stuff has enabled me to hike as many or
few miles as I want, to strike off into uncharted country with NB 805s.  I
may be conforming to some Jardine inspired movement, but it makes me
satisfied.

This summer its 300 miles along the Great Divide Trail up in Canada.  Can't
wait...

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY