From: Ronald Moak [mailto:rmoak@fallingwater.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 9:52 PM
To: 'Richard Cox'; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Fabric for making clothes help

Richard,
You've got a pretty long laundry list of fabrics for different purposes.
What's important to know is what environment you're planning on hiking
in when you're going to be using these clothes. All the fabrics you've
mentioned are used for the different items of clothing described.
However, just because a fabric can be used for a particular item of
clothing, doesn't mean the clothing will be especially well suited to
where you're planning on hiking. Case in point, Gortex is often used
successfully for making high quality and high cost raingear. It's not
all that useful or necessarily recommended for rainwear on a PCT
thru-hike.
What is important is first determining where you're hiking and what
extremes in weather you're likely to encounter. Only then can
appropriate fabrics be selected.
-Fallingwater