[pct-l] Pots

Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

>  Tests show Alum. Pots to  heat faster than Titanium pots of same size. Alum.
> also heats more evenly. 2 cups of water boils almost a minute faster with
> alcohol stove use Alum. ( Of course titanium is lighter )  Food for thought??

A pleasant afternoon lazing around and thinking of things inconsequental. So I
decided to test Monte's claim that aluminum pots heat faster than titanium. I
used a Sigg ~1.5 liter pot (weight 258g / 9 oz) (circa 1973) and an Evernew
titantium 1.3 liter pot (weight 166g / 5.9 oz). These were the closest I had of
comparable size and shape. Used my cat can alcohol stove out on my patio with no
discernable wind. I used 1/2 liter of cold tap water in each and brought to a
boil. My results were 5
minutes 15 seconds with the aluminum pot but only 4 min 45 seconds for the
titanium. I conclude there is a small speed advantage for titanium. Of course, a
lot depends on the size and shape and thickness of the pots compared. I'll stick
with my titanium pots.

Is anyone here enough of an expert on metallurgy to give us a scientific
measurement of the relative heat transfer rates of the two metals?

John