[pct-l] Pots

--

John,

I'm no expert, but the result you're intested in is more complex than just =
thermal conductivity. I'm quite sure Aluminum conducts heat better than Tit=
anium, but Ti is stronger and doesn't melt easily, so a pot made of it can =
be much thinner. Thinner is better for heat transfer. Which effect dominate=
s depends on the details of the pot design.

Flyin' Brian
 John Mertes <jmertes@verizon.net> wrote:

Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

> Tests show Alum. Pots to heat faster than Titanium pots of same size. Alu=
m.
> also heats more evenly. 2 cups of water boils almost a minute faster with
> alcohol stove use Alum. ( Of course titanium is lighter ) Food for though=
t??

A pleasant afternoon lazing around and thinking of things inconsequental. S=
o I
decided to test Monte's claim that aluminum pots heat faster than titanium.=
used a Sigg ~1.5 liter pot (weight 258g / 9 oz) (circa 1973) and an Evernew
titantium 1.3 liter pot (weight 166g / 5.9 oz). These were the closest I ha=
d of
comparable size and shape. Used my cat can alcohol stove out on my patio wi=
th no
discernable wind. I used 1/2 liter of cold tap water in each and brought to=
boil. My results were 5
minutes 15 seconds with the aluminum pot but only 4 min 45 seconds for the
titanium. I conclude there is a small speed advantage for titanium. Of cour=
se, a
lot depends on the size and shape and thickness of the pots compared. I'll =
stick
with my titanium pots.

Is anyone here enough of an expert on metallurgy to give us a scientific
measurement of the relative heat transfer rates of the two metals?

John