[pct-l] Bear-ing the Burden

Tom,

I hope you don't withdraw your input from this list.

Being new to the list & uneducated about backpacking in bear country, I
found the debate on the PCT-L archive to be very helpful in my decision -
which is, BTW, to buy & use a bear canister.

Helpful, but VERY tedious.  There were tons of messages & a whole lot of
diatribe, ranting, and piss & vinegar to sort through (coyote piss & ammonia
actually).  From all sides.

I hope you continue to advocate the use of canisters on this list, for the
benefit of folks who are new, and planning future hikes in the bear country
of the PCT.

To prevent you from going rabid with anger, and to prevent newbies from
having to wade into the morass of the archives, I suggest this: write up a
one-or-two page summary of your thoughts, which you can re-post via copy &
paste whenever the topic comes up.

A rational, thorough, academic essay on the topic will be very effective &
useful.

In addition to the arguments against hanging, sleeping with food, ursacks,
etc, please include:
- Info on exactly where canisters are needed
- Info on models, weight & pricing (links too)
- Info on rental logistics

Thanks,

-Andrew