[pct-l] This display of hostility...

--
I am a new subscriber to this list, probably about a couple of weeks now.  =
I started in in the middle of the previous discussion on bear canisters.  A=
lthough opinions were differing, it seemed that everyone was able to see pa=
st that and, in a way, just "agree to disagree".  I've seen many other onli=
ne discussion forums in the past and no matter what the topic it always see=
med like people were just there to hurl insults around.  I went looking for=
 some info on the PCT and found this mail list.  Decided to give it a try a=
nd was pleasantly surprised that that sort of thing didn't seem to happen h=
ere...it seemed that everyone was here to talk about the common hobby they =
share and love.

I just witnessed another new subscriber ask a perfectly legitimate question=
 in a most enthusiastic way and get scoffed by a certain man here.  I also =
witnessed a lady give an honest and encouraging answer to him.  I say 'hone=
st' because I don't believe she did it to thrust any certain methods on him=
, she just went by what she had witnessed in her experiences, I'm sure Rich=
 has a mind of his own and can draw his own conclusions.  I find it very sa=
d that there are people here trying to quell that enthusiasm with uncalled =
for rude comments and threats.

As a side note, as someone who is new to the area and the PCT, and doesn't =
have a lot of experience with bears I was also gathering information about =
bear canisters.  To the man who is on a relentless crusade to force everyon=
e to use a bear canister, your posts did nothing to encourage me to use one=
 (but that's just me, maybe it'll work on others).  "You can catch a lot mo=
re flies (or was that bears) with honey instead of vinegar."  I drew my con=
clusions from sources that had some substance to them.  Whether I'm going t=
o use one or not, I'll keep that a secret lest I get myself flamed from one=
 side or the other...

Anyway, who ever said thru hiking (or most anything for that matter) was su=
pposed to be a 100% safe activity?  I don't care who you are, there are jus=
t some things in life that you can't prevent from happening.  While the bea=
r can may protect your food, who's to stop the momma bear with cub you surp=
rised on the trail from attacking you?

Come on, can't we just have fun here? :)

Michelle