From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of David hiking
PCNST in bits
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 11:37 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Southbound

> If I were doing a southbound, I would hope
for a less than 60% of normal on April 15. I would decide after reading
the
May 1 readings at Hart's Pass whether to head for Campo right away or
wait
another month to head for Manning Park. Difficult to be that flexible, I
know.

Seems to me, if one were willing to be flexible, the most interesting
way
to do a southbound would be to go to ADZ first, then get a ride up to
Kennedy
Meadows (or to Lancaster or Ridgecrest where an expensive taxi would at
least be possible) and go south to Campo, perhaps getting through
San Diego County while there's still a bit of water cached, then resting
up
and resuming at Manning and continuing south from there around
July 1.   You'd get to meet all the northbounders
that way, three times, at ADZ, and around Cajon Pass and Crater Lake,
and you could exchange information about what's ahead.    Avoiding water
and fire problems in southern California seems like a good idea to me:
November is much cooler than May but no through-hiker
support systems are in place and no wildflowers.