[pct-l] Bugs

At 11:06 AM 2/8/03, Tony DiLorenzo wrote:
>There have also been a number
>of studies done that do determine that there is liver
>damage after prolong use.

In the billions of uses of DEET over the last 50 years or so, there have
been between five and 18 cases (depending on the reference ) of suspected
toxic exposures due to excessive skin absorption of diethyltoluamide. Three
of these resulted in death. It should be made clear that these were
"suspected" There has been no clear cause and effect demonstrated.

In  some, but not all, studies, test animals fed high doses of DEET
experienced kidney and liver damage, and decreased body weight and food
consumption.  I don't think I will drink my DEET.

There have been no human studies I could find that show DEET is harmful. I
would be very interested in reading one if you have a reference.

 From 1980 through 1995, when 1318 deaths were attributed to lightning in
the USA.

According to the CDC about 9000 people die from peanut allergies in the USA
each year

DEET sounds pretty safe to me.