[pct-l] Fishing the Southern Sierras [long]

The key to catching fish in the Sierra is to be at an appropriate lake at
dawn or dusk. The following Lakes, South to North are VERY likely to yeild a
supurb meal of small trout.

Mt. Whitney to Tuolumne Meadows.
1-Lake South America-A short way west of Forrester Pass. A 100% bet to feast
on Golder Trout. If you can pass up this spot you ain't a fisherman. Please
read no further and delete this post
2-Charlotte Lake -decent fishing a short way off the trail
3-Rae Lakes -Awesome, mostly Brook Trout, some fair sized.
4-Twin lakes -decent fishing a short way off the trail
5-Palisades Lake -Awesome for Golden
6-Evolution Lake -Golden and Brook
7-Any of the Lakes on Bear Creek - Three Island Lake has Goldens
8-Lake Virginia -Large Fish
9-1000 Island Lake-Small Brookies

Many of the streams are also excellent fishing. The tributaries draining
into Florence Lake [Evolution Creek, Piute Creek, San Joaquin] are
particulary good as is Bear Creek.

What to fish with.
a. Lures. Use gold when the sun is on the water, silver in shade. Use small
spinner [Mepps, RoosterTail or Panther Martin] and spoon [Kastmaster or
Super Duper]. 90% of the time you can catch fish with ANY spoon a gold
Kastmaster will work and it casts further.
b. Bubble and fly pattern. Use mosquito pattern for surface or emerger. Use
no water in bubble. Fill bubble and use Wooly Buggar for deeper fishing.

Fishing Rig.
The lightest rod, reel combo I have found is about 8 ounces. Another rig I
have used is a StreamLine handline that weighs only two ounces. My most
effective rig is a spin-fly combo because I can cast a fly/bubble or a
Kastmaster 20 yards further than virtually anyone else. Use 2 pound line [no
heavier]

Cooking the Fish
I use a BakePacker [4 ounces]