[pct-l] Newbie seeking advice, partners!

Hi guys --

I'm new on this listserve and am thinking about hiking the PCT from White
Pass WA to BigBear City CA (not a TRUE thru-hike, I know...)  I'm looking
for partners and advice.  Is late May/ early June a realistic starting
date considering my start point (W.P. WA) and the weather profile this
year (low % of avg  snowfall)?  I have experience camping/ backpacking in
snow -- climbed 2 Sisters one April etc -- but am a little unceratin of my
orienteering skills when the trail is buried.  Also, if I do leave at this
time, how much snow should I realistically expect to encounter?  And
how much should I expect these conditions to hinder my progress?  What
about avalanche danger?

Also, I am considering ultralighting it.  Does anyone have any suggestions
regarding this?  I am thinking about making Pepsi stove.  Is this wise?  I
feel if I do make my own stove by the end of testing it and
troubleshooting, I'd be more competent at fixing it should problems arise
on the trail.

One last thing -- how dependent on hitchhiking were y'all when you stopped
to resupply?  Is there any way to avoid hitching?  And also, have people
had better experiences resupplying en route or shipping themselves
resupply boxes before hitting the trail?

  -- Ariel

ps: I am also open to shifting my route S, leaving from N OR and arriving
at Warner Springs or even the Mexican border.  Can anyone tell me if this
would substantially reduce my interaction with snow?  (I can handle high
temps of any degree, but suffer under extreme cold.)