[pct-l] to sleep with or not to sleep with...

--

>Consequently, what's the harm of actually having your food in your pack (o=
ther than >being illegal in certain places) with you in your tent since you=
 already smell of food? >Please, don't brush me off...a serious question.

On the PCT this past year, I slept with all my food in my bivy sack every n=
ight from campo to stevens pass, WA.  I never had any animal problems.  The=
 odds are with you that you will never be bothered by an animal, and better=
 to have a confrontation than lose all your food, etc.

I would advise against leaving your food IN your backpack, seeing a rodent =
might chew a hole in your pack.  I switched into a tarp at Stevens Pass, an=
d hung my food a few feet off the ground to keep the mice from finding it.

Granted, sleeping with your food does incur a greater risk than a properly =
hung bear bag.  When on the CDT through the Bob Marshall & Glacier in Monta=
na, I hung my food religiously.  Grizzly =3D bad.

Happy 'JO'