[pct-l] to sleep with or not to sleep with...

Joanne-

As I have stated repeatedly. The reason you don't sleep with your food is to
protect me and my four year old son.

If a bear gets the nerve to crash a tent and GETS food from the experience,
that bear will repeatedly crash tents until it is destroyed.

You keep your food from bears to protect the bears. You don't sleep with
your food because you don't want to be responsible for the child you maime
by creating a tent crashing bear.

All this, "I have never had a bear problem" is just BS. In over 300 nights
in the Sierra a bear has shown up maybe 10 times and those ten times are in
the predictible locations. In general, most nights a bear never visits your
campground. Stealth camping is the art of hiding from a bear. Aside from the
fact that it is illegial and subject to a big fine, stealth camping will
work very well for thruhikers passing through the sierra in the early season
[before July 1]. During that timeframe a stealth camper is very unlikely to
have a bear visit.

Sleeping with your food says something like. "If a bear shows up [unlikely]
I would rather risk maiming a child than losing my food"

If the thruhiking community can't take responsibility for not sleeping with
their food, I fear that I must throw the effort I previously put into
ADZPCTKO into ending thruhiking thru Inyo without a canister.

Tom