[pct-l] Bear Canister thoughts

--
> The only answer that I can come up with is that the bear can also smell
> the
> long distance hiker associated with the candy bar. I have heard that bears
> dislike the smell of hikers and much as hikers dislike the smell of bears.

Ken, this made me smile in recollection.  In climbing Muir Pass in 1985, I
ran into a 3-generation backpacking family (and Grampa was outhiking me!).
When I asked the Dad how they were dealing with the bear situation, in that
I had just seen the food and wrapper mess a bear created at a campsite near
Kearsarge Pass, he smiled and said, "Don't have a problem. I just put the
smelly tennis shoes from my son here in the tent doorway at night. No bear
will cross that threshold!"

--
[ winmail.dat of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]