[pct-l] Whitney

--
In a message dated 1/22/2003 2:52:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BWIL5272@postoffice.uri.edu writes:

> I'm about to send away for my permit. I'm going back and forth whether I
> should try and climb Whitney or not.
>
> How far is it off trail? How long to hikers usually take off trail (how
> many
> days)? Is there any extra gear I will need for the climb or anything I
> should plan on mailing to myself specifically for Whitney?

It's 16 miles round trip and well worth it.  If you pass it up you're a dope!
: )

> What percentage of PCT hikers make the side trip to the summit?

Nearly all of them...

> For those of you who have climbed Whitney, do you think it was worth it?
>
> What would happen if I didn't include the Whitney climb in my permit and
> later decided I wanted to climb?

Yes it's worth it.  You can stay at Guitar Lake or the tarn above and then
climb Whitney first thing in the morning.  No special skills required, it's
basically a walk up in good weather.  I got the permit when they were free
for PCT thru-hikers and no one asked to see it.  I didn't see any rangers on
top either.  Just tell them you got lost!

Sly