[pct-l] Tent poles

For a lower cost trial of carbon fiber tent poles, make your own out of arrow
shafts.  Just use the heavy walled ones for big game, not the ultra thin
light weight ones.  Check out a local archery store in order to get familiar
with the types, weights, lengths and costs BEFORE you order.  This is
important because some kinds of carbon fiber shafts cost $200 plus for a
dozen. Typically you can find shafts though in the $30 to $60 range for a
dozen.  Make insert connectors out of aluminum shafts with an outside
diameter of the same exact size as the inside diameter of the carbon fiber
shafts.  Sometimes the archery shops will have odds and ends that they will
sell you just one shaft to make these out of.  Cut them long and glue them in
with epoxy to one shaft.  Coat all cut ends with epoxy to keep the fibers
from fraying with use.  Check out FS Discount Archery for online and catalog
orders; http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/  They have the lowest prices that I
have found in my local and limited internet searching.  I have no affiliation
with them.

Expect a cold reception at your local archery store.  At one of the stores
that I visited the owner looked at me like; "oh, another one of those
weirdoes!" and wouldn't help me much.

Good luck,

Greg

PS:  Cuddos go to Mad Monte for turning me on to this.  The aluminum and
carbon fiber arrow shafts are perfect length for tent poles sections as well
as a myriad of other uses.