[pct-l] Scot Parks' observations

--
Neil, we have to remember that Brian started his hike weighing 155 pounds.
7K+ miles later, he finished and weighed 155 pounds.  So he was in
"reasonably" good condition when he started.

Most of us aren't that well prepared at the start of our thruhikes.  When I
started the AT last spring, I weighed 195 lb.  When I reached Katahdin, I was
at 165.  That's the good news.  What's really scary is that I weighed 160 by
the time I got to Erwin, Tennessee, 340 miles into my hike, so I actually
gained weight in the last 1,800 miles.  Nobody seems to talk much about this
on the list, but one of the absolute THRILLS of long-distance hiking is to
experience the knowledge that "I can do this!" once we get into physical
condition.

You're 67 years old.  I'm 65.  Many of the people we meet on the trail could
be our grandsons or daughters.  But regardless of age, all thruhikers must
feel ECSTATIC about their ability to convert 4-5,000 calories per day into
miles.

(I apologise if my use of capital letters has offended anyone, but I suffer
from excessive enthusiasm about this topic.  Indeed, I may be unsuccessful
trying to suppress the idea of writing a book on the subject of lightweight
hiking and the possibilities it holds for us age-challenged OF's.  Back when
I was young and knew better, people who were 40-years-old were over-the-hill,
and knew it.)