[pct-l] Trail name/Stream crossings

Got my trail name from the first two thru hikers I met and camped with on the
PCT in the Glacier Peak wilderness, the year before I did my thru hike. They
insisted that I needed a trail name and since I like to climb mountains, they
dubbed me Mountain Dave.
 I can see how having a high mileage itinerary could lead to a safety hazard:
if one was tempted to cross a raging torrent at, say, 3 p.m. instead of
waiting until morning (when flow will be at minimum) so as not to sacrifice
several hours of hiking.
   I misspoke some time back when I said the dangers of backpacking were
minimal. If not handled right, stream crossings can indeed be hazardous in
early season. No doubt that a light pack is a plus here. And crossing steep
or icy snow without an ice ax too. Guess what I meant was the danger was
minimal mid to late season. Knowing how to start a fire has its advantages if
one is injured. An emergency GPS would also help. Kind of like one of those
panic buttons elderly people wear around their neck to summon help if needed.
 I was surprised how few bridges, if any in the Sierra Wildernesses. I think
the managers took the no man made structures clause quite literally. No
outhouses, either. Am I remembering it right?
  At every reasonable stream crossing, and there were many, a choice had to
be made: wade or try a log/rock combo "bridge". Each "bridge" was like a rock
climb. You scoped it out, figured out where your steps were and then just
went for it. Failure meant wet feet. Success saved you 5 to 10 minutes and a
lot of hassle with the footwear. It actually became kind of fun to chart a
course across. I remember having a contest with "Let It Be" (anyone seen him
lately?) Crossing styles were rated by his girlfriend but I think she had a
bias.
  But the big ones were dangerous and some you just had to wade. Oh Yeah!!
(sorry, "fun" to me- but never late in the afternoon when you can hear the
rocks moving)