[pct-l] PCT Snow Pack

The Yogi Meister did sayeth:

>>that sound good.  Don't forget the disclaimers.
>>They're just as important as the rest of the stuff.

Exactly! Plus, I will add, this is your hike
Ultimatelyt YOU are responsible for what happens. If
you blame your mishaps on an Internet post, maybe it
is time to do another hobby.

Yes, the Internet has made planning for expeditions
much easier. Has made the trail community stronger in
some ways, too. (Heck, I had a PCT buddy in Boulder
for two days because we talk via e-mail!). But if you
are grousing about information that did not quite jive
with trail conditions, you have yourselves to blame.

In any case, I found Greg's comments to be helpful.
And you know what? Yes, the passes were full of
snow....but it was not that bad. Me, a person who is
more of a pack mule than a race horse, did low 20's
through the High Sierras leaving KM on June 6!  And I
am nothing special as a hiker. You take a map, you
take a compass, you hope you make the top of the pass,
you laugh about where the $@#%#%! pass is and you
enjoy yourself doing it. Sheesh..four months+  of
hiking and all we can do is complain about those whose
advice has helped many hikers?

Are we all lawyers? Should every post now include:

THIS ADVICE WILL VARY DEPENDING ON THE INDIVIDUAL. USE
AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS ADVICE IS NOT APPLICABLE IN ALL
SITUATIONS.

In any case, I do not think of how hard the High
Sierras were. I think of how gorgeous they were...how
unique..how memorable.  Not only are they someplace I
hope to visit again, but knowing that the High Sierras
are out there keep me from bragging about "my
mountains" here in Colorado too much.
:-)

Happy trails all...

2003 PCTers..ignore the squabbling. Have a good hike,
pay attention to the advice, make your own decisions
based on what works for you and treasure the memories
always.

Mags

=====