[pct-l] Re: Hike and Share your stories

In a message dated 1/9/03 7:46:57 PM, lovejoyart@cox.net writes:

<< . Turns out once a year (on Memorial
Day) a local horseback group has a pancake breakfast catered at this
campground. They were all expected at around 10:00, and it was about
9:30. Upon accepting a most gracious invitation, I sat down at a picnic
table with a linen tablecloth and had a huge stack of pancakes,
sausages, bacon, eggs & orange juice, then filled my waterbag with
icewater from his cooler. It was wild. >>

I had a similar event happen to me. We were coming out from the Bugaboos in
Canada. By the trailhead there is a lodge. As we are hiking down, we noticed
helicopters landing at the lodge. We were hungry and went over to the lodge
to see if there was a restaurant  there. I knocked on the door, which was
locked, and a girl of about 11 came to he door. "Are you serving lunch I
enquired? "Just a minute", she said and closed he door. Several minutes later
she returned and announced as officially as she could. "Lunch will be served
in 10 minutes, the cost is $5 Canadian, and you must remove your boots to
enter.
  We did and entered. Turns out some well to do people had chartered
helicopters that flew them to the closed lodge which was opened just so they
could have a catered lunch with  magnificent view of the Bugaboo glacier. We
apparently were allowed to join them because we added flavor to their
experience. Swarmy, unshaven, unclean, mountain climbers. Or maybe it was
because they had extra food.
     We were bombarded with questions as we dined not on clam chowder, but
SHRIMP chowder and all kinds of catered delicacies such as cabbage rolls. Of
course the hot chocolate came with marshmellows. I mean we just pigged out
right in front of them and they loved the show. But no one sat too close. And
all for $3.50