[pct-l] El Nino Gossip

Hi PCT-ers,

I have that oooh so faint extreme-early pre-season
thru-hike butterflies.  And there's a good chance that
I may not be headed for attempt #2 this April...yet I
still have the butterflies!

One of the lesser reasons that I may not go is that
I'm concerned about El Nino.  Wasn't it '98 when the
majority (if not all) of northbounders couldn't get
through the High Sierra?  (That's the year I swam the
AT.)

Or was it '95?

I'm curious about several things.  First, how bad is
the snow this year in the High Sierra?  When will the
worst come - now or in the spring?  Are Jardine's
charts for eyeballing snow depth really useful?  Can
we make a call on whether El Nino will be
insurmountable for northbound thru-hikers in '03 by
the end of February?

If there are any folks who thru-hiked on a big snow
year, would you say that...if you knew this was
another big year, you'd postpone your hike?

I sure do hate to go through the pains of leaving
home, job and such only to be stopped on my hike
again.  In my mind, I'm always back there overlooking
Charlotte Lake on my way up Glenn Pass.  I can
remember the exact spot where I had to turn back.  I
don't want that again.

Thanks,
Nocona