FW: [pct-l] Advice sought on lightway trek

------ Forwarded Message
From: johnsmallberries <johnsmallberries@hvc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:19:48 -0400
To: Eric Lee GAMES <elee@microsoft.com>, pcta
<pct-l-request@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Advice sought on lightway trek

Well, maybe someone should define the terms: strolling, walking, hiking,
backpacking, trekking, mountaineering, alpining, and climbing. I ask a
legitimate question and get a pile of horseshit from 5 people excluding you=
.
You are the only person who has provided a thoughtful reply. However, there
are 'light mountaineering' adherents around here. It is not a California
phenomenon. Marc/

> From: "Eric Lee (GAMES)" <elee@microsoft.com>
> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:47:01 -0800
> To: "johnsmallberries" <johnsmallberries@hvc.rr.com>, "pcta"
> <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
> Subject: RE: [pct-l] Advice sought on lightway trek
>
> Marc wrote:
>>
> On Friday, 10 January, I am going to do the following trek: climb
> The Wittenberg Mountain . . .
>
> What should I carry, footwear, snowshoes, etc. as an ultralight trekker
> would do it given the above?
>>

> That's not long-distance hiking, that's mountaineering.  The two have
> different goals, different risks, and different equipment requirements.  =
> don't think even the most rabid ultralighter here would tell you _not_ to=
 take
> a full winter mountaineering load.  Anything less could easily be suicide=
, and
> everyone here knows that.  Most ultralighters have enough sense to avoid =
icy
> mountains in January.
>
> Now, when you're ready to do 30 miles on the PCT in Oregon, in August, no
> snow, temperature range from 60F to 95F, elevation range +/- 1000 feet, 1=
6
> hours of daylight . . . well, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of advice.
>
> Eric

 Martin