[pct-l] GPS

--
For those who may not be aware, as of July 1, 2003, retailers in the
continental U.S. will be allowed to begin selling personal GPS transmitters.
There has been a pilot program in Alaska for the last year or so, and it has
proven successful enough that Federal regulations will now allow it
elsewhere. The device is small, although I don't know the actual weight
(sorry lw obsessives!) When the system is purchased, the purchaser registers
their device, along with info re: emergency contacts, etc. It is only
activated in the event of an emergency. I believe that the signal is
transmitted through NORAD satellites. The device is expected, however, to
retail for appx. $300. Perhaps the price will decrease as the device becomes
popular.

Also, new cell phones all have GPS technology that can be programmed to kick
in when either 911 is called, or when any number is called. Any cell phone
service near the PCT?

Please note, I am not taking a stand yet on the use of personal GPS
technology in the wilderness. I will be on the PCT for most of July, and have
not yet decided whether or not purchase a personal GPS device.

>From what I've read, everyone will have an opinion on this matter.

Happy Trails to all!

Ali