[pct-l] maps? huge books? vital?

At 10:23 PM 1/1/03, Yaffa Meiners wrote:
>  I did the at with only the data book, and 1 week of planning.

You will NOT be able to do the PCT this way.

Yes the "huge books" are vital.

The PCT is not blazed like the AT. You will not be able to find the trail
without the "huge books" (ie the guide books.) The guide books contain
adequate maps, so you don't need additional ones (to find the trail, anyway)

On the PCT unless you want to make significant side trips, you can go as
far at 150+ miles between resupply points, and then have only a convenience
store to resupply. That requires more planning than the AT.

Search the list archives at
http://www.backcountry.net/cgi-bin/marc-search.cgi for "pct vs at"

All IMHO, YMMV, HYOH.

--
Brick Robbins

If I must worship God, then I will do so in the temple that He created.
---- John Muir