[pct-l] dmho/dsmo/fbi/cia/nasa/scarpa

At 12:42 AM 12/27/02 EST, CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:

I've seen plenty of slide shows of the Alps and was
>always aghast at how it was nearly impossible to find solitude, with gondolas
>and trails to and huts atop most peaks and back pack camping without the use
>of huts banned in most places. The presenters would marvel at not seeing
>anyone "for several hours!" I would never dream of going to Europe for a
>wilderness experience, only the culture of the Renaissance.

hmmm..I found just the opposite! Guess it makes a difference if you are
there or looking at slide shows! <grin> I spent quite a few months
backpacking without huts...
it is not allowed on private lands (same as US..surprise surprise)...
try the Eiger route, or Blanc or Matterhorn...plenty of wilderness
(but watch out u don't fall into a crevass on the approaches)...

I will never forget leaving the Eiger station and climbing up the
ice in crapons and ice-axe into absolute solitude for days.
(this was enroute/near the Jungfrau) Surely others here have done that trek?

The Italian alps are pretty isolated too. The problem you see is that
most people stay on the hutte-hutte (sp?) routes which is NOT required.
Just the habit of the locals: who take a small bedroll and that is
about it (the ultimate in ultralight. Most packs I saw were under
10 lbs for a 2 week hike But there wallets were full (at least
at the start) We saw a few officials who just checked out passports
and said nothing about our tent off trail in the steeper areas.
Same with Suisse except in two weeks we saw no officials and
no huts (well they were off in the distance we think)

Most of time stealth camping worked just fine.
Leaving one town in France (les Houches)on foot up a ravine left
my girlfriend and I isolated for at least a week of tent
 hiking in the high Alps until we ran out of food and had
to come back (no resupply possible = too isolated! hahaha)

Same with Turin in Italy.

Rich