[pct-l] dmho/dsmo/fbi/cia/nasa/scarpa

In a message dated 12/26/02 12:04:51 PM, madin@hvc.rr.com writes:
 some of the best trekking
in all of Europe is in the Basque region of Spain, between bible and west
to Andorra. These are truly forgotten and mostly unknown lands. >>
  I find it very difficult to believe that there is an acre in all of Europe
that is unknown and forgotten. Surely every square meter has been tromped on
at least twice by now Just take a look at the place from a satellite at
night. Nothing but a mass of light that rivals and surpasses the Eastern
seaboard of the U.S. I've seen plenty of slide shows of the Alps and was
always aghast at how it was nearly impossible to find solitude, with gondolas
and trails to and huts atop most peaks and back pack camping without the use
of huts banned in most places. The presenters would marvel at not seeing
anyone "for several hours!" I would never dream of going to Europe for a
wilderness experience, only the culture of the Renaissance.
  As for Australia, my lure would be the wide open spaces of the Outback. A
mountain bike trip across Australia would have to be quite the adventure and
if the "natives" like to drink, so be it. It's all about perspective and
point of view, I guess.