[pct-l] Hiking and Running

At 07:07 AM 12/5/02, you wrote:
>I've heard of people running to get in shape for
>hiking, but I was wondering how well the reverse
>works. Would somebody who is a prior runner stay in
>running shape through the hike?

That would be me. I ran a 50 miler shortly after returning from a thru hike.

I found my knees and hips were not in shape for running. My body wasn't
used to the extra impact.

As far a running to get in shape for hiking, I've found that it doesn't
work for feet. The extra load of carrying a pack is much harder on the
feet,  than running without a pack.

There is a race I've done called the Marathon des Sables in Morocco (
http://www.sandmarathon.com/ ) that involves running with a pack.
The absolute worst feet I have ever seen were at this race.

If you have not eaten recently eaten and don't mind a really gross picture
have a look at this: http://solo2.abac.com/fastpack/gross_foot.jpg

--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com