[pct-l] Food weight/calaries/day

A good thumb rule: One ounce of dry food equals about 100 calories.  Higher
fat content foods, like peanut butter, are close to 200.
My experience is that 1.5 to 2 pounds a day suits me over the long haul,
less when its warm, more when its cold or rainy.  I know that results in a
calorie deficit because I steadily lose one to two pounds a week during the
hike, less as I get leaner and begin to pig out more in town.
As Brick pointed out, for several reasons, most people don't feel like
eating much until after the first few weeks on trail, especially starting
from Campo where you'll be experiencing desert conditions.  You can cheat a
little on your food planning and carry less for the first 200 miles.

happy trails, Hobbit

Hobbit's Hiking Pages ( http://friends.backcountry.net/rogers/ )