[pct-l] Where is the trail? (Sunday)

I wanted to go for a backpacking trip this weekend but my favorite
National Forest areas are all closed so Saturday morning headed out
towards Palm Springs to go for a short hike on the PCT.  As I was trying
to find a good place to start I met the owner of the Pink Hotel and he
directed me to the trail head and parking just north of the I-10. I left
there at 2:00 pm and was going to try to hike to the boundary of the San
Bernardino NF and return. I got down to the river bed with no problem (I
counted 6 PCT marker posts that I could see from 1 spot!). The trail
ended at a marker post, out in the dry wash was a large pile of rocks
with a stick in it (to alert southbounders to look for the trail?) and
that was the last I saw of it. I followed tracks off and on up stream for
about an hour and 15 min. There were a bunch of small trees near the
south bank so decided to camp there as it was about 6:15. This morning I
got up and continued up stream for about 45 min. to the only large tall
tree in the stream bed. I was getting near what looked like the end of
the wash (for the 3 time!). Is that near the start of the SB NF or was
there another turn ahead and more rocky trail less going? I needed to
head back to gave up and turned around and went back, packed up my gear
and got back to the trail head at 4:00 pm. I was a beautiful weekend for
a dessert hike except that it was so cloudy last night I only got a
glimpse of the nearly full moon. Today was clear and warm as expected.

I guess I should have had a GPS! Or at least the trail guide or a map!

Thanks,
Vic