[pct-l] Re: Switching to a tarp

Hey John,

This summer I did 2000 miles of the PCT from, Campo, CA
to Sisters, OR using only a tarp for shelter. I only
set up the tarp 4 times the entire trip. (I'm still puzzled
why people bother to carry heavy tents, 2+ lbs, on the
PCT during the summer months.)

To protect against mosquitos I wore the following at night:
+ Breathable wind pants/jacket (from GoLite, www.golite.com)
+ Mosquito head net
+ Balaclava
+ Mittens

The head net is worn over the balaclava. Typically, I didn't
wear the wind pants as my blanket would cover my lower
extremities.

This worked *very* well, even in the Three Sisters Wilderness
where the bugs were BAD. I carried no DEET or any other chemical.

The mosquito bites I did receive where during the day when
I was reluctant to stop and cover up.

Hope this helps,
Scott

With all this talk of tarp versus tent etc, I am thinking of switching
to a tarp for weight reasons, but having never used one before does
anyone have any thoughts and suggestions on how to protect against
mosquitos with such an arrangement?

Regareds Jon

Tired of all the SPAM in your inbox? Switch to LYCOS MAIL PLUS