[pct-l] Mosquito-proofing tarps

--
Jon, I bought a mosquito net from REI for $29.95. It's called a Mombassa Tr=
acker. It has one loop to hang it from and four more, one at each corner fo=
r staking it out. It was just big enough for me and all my gear, and I can =
sit up in it. I used it on dozens of nights from the Sierras through Oregon=
 on my PCT thruhike this year.

It would hang under my tarp, which has a clothesline running the length of =
it. But I used it almost entirely without the tarp. Typically I'd hang it f=
rom a piece of cord between two trees. The tarp weighs about five ounces. T=
he cord was negligible and I carry it anyway for hanging damp clothes, food=
, or occasionally setting up the tarp. Most times I used fist-sized rocks i=
nside to hold the four corners down.

I would sit inside while my dinner was cooking just outside and it wasn't t=
oo inconvenient. (Of course a lot of times I cooked dinner before camp.)

For the do-it-yourselfers I think something like this would be very easy to=
 make. And cheap. The main advantage was that I could use it with or withou=
t the tarp.

They also sell them at Campmor.

As to Canadian Immigration, I was at Monument 78 with Rachel and Scott. Nei=
ther Rachel nor Scott had their ducks in a row, and yet the two officials, =
one Mounties and one Immigration officer, were cordial and let them pass. I=
 might also add that the two officials were at the monument when Rachel and=
 Scott were coming down the switchbacks, but went away for maybe 20 minutes=
 just before Rachel and Scott arrived, thus giving them their time to celeb=
rate alone, until I showed up.

They were courteous and friendly. And they were not even remotely intereste=
d in the arrival dates. I was bragging that I had come within three days of=
 my predicted date. That made the guy laugh.

Later that night I spoke to both guys individually at length outside the re=
staurant at Manning Lodge. I asked what happens when people show up without=
 the permit. In Scott's case his name was on the list of people who had bee=
n given permission to enter, so even though he did not have the form with h=
im they let him in. Rachel had not bothered to apply because she is Canadia=
n. They let her in anyway.

Anyone else would probably encounter similar treatment. If you have no phot=
o ID you'll have a problem. If you have warrants out for you you'll get a r=
ide on an ATV back to Manning. If you have a driver's license and no warran=
ts, and never applied, they'll let you in. This is straight from the horse'=
s mouth.

Canada is a foreign country. They can do what they want. It was hardly "Big=
 Brother." As someone who has traveled the world extensively I felt that th=
e experience was pretty tame. Seldom have I met border officials so friendl=
y.

I think it's nothing to worry about.

SnoLepard